The Craziness That is Me...Megan

Frequently moving perfectionist often driven to Crazyville by moving, motherhood, and...myself. Lover of music, homemade things, and Oklahoma.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Diets Suck...But This One Isn't Horrible

There's been a few changes goin on round here...

Farm Boy and I are on a diet. 

And...diets suck.

The End.

Just kidding...

About it being the end...we really are on a diet and they really do suck.  Although this diet...as restrictive as it may be...hasn't sucked quite as bad as most of the diets I've tried in my life. And I've tried a few...or 20.

Farm Boy and I are on the HCG diet.  I'm not going to give you a link because there is tons of stuff on the web about it and I've not found one source that I liked more than another.  And I'm not going to go into what HCG is aside from the fact that it is a hormone that your body produces during pregnancy.  I will tell you basically how the diet works.  So here ya go...

*Pause*  I am no medical professional and if you are thinking about doing this you should talk to your doctor...I'm telling you what we're doing because it's working for us, we're excited about it, and it's my blog and I can do that.  Plus...our family and friends can read about our progress and I won't feel guilty anymore because I haven't updated anyone.

Okay...here we go...

This diet consists of 3 phases.  Phase 1 is a 2 day "loading" phase and you're supposed to eat foods that are high in fat to prepare your body to lose weight.  It kind of tricks the body so that it won't go into starvation mode and hold onto your fat.  Phase 2 is a 23-46 (depending on your needs and wants) day low calorie phase and Phase 3 is a 23 day maintenance phase.

We are using homeopathic HCG drops.  You take the drops 4 times a day 15 minutes before or after you've eaten.  We take them before. 

Along with that you stick to a diet of fish, chicken, or very lean beef, a few types of veggies and a few types of fruit.  You can have as much water, tea or coffee that you like and you're supposed to only use stevia to sweeten your tea or coffee.  There are a few other things you're allotted each day like a tablespoon of milk for coffee but we haven't really used it. 

Now...here is where you're gonna freak...your only allowed to eat 500 calories a day during phase 2.

I know that sounds completely ridiculous...I thought it was for a long time which is why I paid no attention to this diet.  But then a couple of my friends did it and said that it wasn't like I thought it would be.  AND THEY WERE RIGHT!!

The concept of the diet is that while you only eat 500 calories a day...your body is actually burning much more than that. It's burning the fat calories that you already have on your body. The HCG tells it to do that, suppresses hunger, and keeps your body from going into starvation mode.

(At least that is how I understand it all)

We eat a piece of fruit in the morning; have a piece of meat and a veggie at lunch, another piece of fruit in the afternoon and another piece of meat and a veggie for supper.  And in the meantime we drink water...or in my case water and tea...out the ass hiney all day.

We have been doing this for 7 days now and it is important for me to point out that we do not feel hungry aside from normal hunger at mealtimes and we are still fully functioning and totally normal. 

And after 7 days I have lost 10 lbs and Farm Boy...the little sucker...has lost 20.  20 LBS in 7 days!!!  I'm not even joking. 

I guess it should be shocking that I lost 10 lbs in 1 week but for some reason it's a little overshadowed by TWENTY...2-0...TWENTY!!

I'm so happy and proud of him for it though!!  Really...I am!

Little sucker. 

Anywho...there are a lot of details that I haven't gone into like that you can't mix two types of veggies at one meal...stuff like that.  But it works and it works fast.  And I'm the kinda girl that needs to see results 5 minutes ago or I lose patience.  Hence the reason I haven't been successful at a "work out & eat right" diet.  It takes too long!  And there are too many variables.  With this we've got a list of what we can eat and we know how much we can have...boom...we're done.  And...you only have to do the hard part for 23-46 days.  I mean...you can do anything for that long...right?  RIGHT!! 

(at least that is what I tell myself when I want a piece of cheese)

Honestly though...I have had the LEAST amount of cravings on this diet than I have ever had and I've had the MOST will power.  It's really been a surprise.  Cause listen...I am the most sweet craving, cookie, ice cream, cake, dessert eating person you'll ever meet.  I LOVE sweets and sometimes my cravings are ridiculous.  But so far...I'm holding strong this time. 

It could be where I'm at in my life and the fact that I know something HAS to change now and I can't keep going down the Cookie Lane and live the life I want to live,  But really...whatever it is...I'm just glad that we are moving in the right direction and that this is working for us.

As my friend Jenn says...

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,
Megan

P.S.  I MUST point out that I could not be doing this alone.  If my Farmer Boy wasn't eating chicken and asparagus right alongside me I fear I wouldn't have made it this far.  In other words...I'm totally channeling his strength and will power cause I'm a dieting pansy. 

1 comment:

Followers