The Craziness That is Me...Megan

Frequently moving perfectionist often driven to Crazyville by moving, motherhood, and...myself. Lover of music, homemade things, and Oklahoma.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Very First Ever...Crafting Tutorial - Hooded Towels

One of my most favorite things ever is doing crafts.  Any kind of crafts really...I love them all. 


Which also means...I love homemade things.  I love giving them and getting them.  There's just something very personal about it for me.  Knowing that the person spent their time making something for me or my family makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

Having said all that it only seems natural that I would share some of the things that I like to make with you.

For my very first ever crafting tutorial I'm going to show you how to make hooded towels.

I received two of these towels as a baby gift before Q-Tip was born and we have used the daylights out of them! They are regular sized adult towels but we started using them when she was a baby because they were so much more absorbent than baby towels. I loved them so much I sat down and tried to figure out how to make them.  And I did.

Here we go!

Hooded Towels for Babies, Toddlers, and Kids
The materials you will need to make 2 hooded towels are as follows:

1 - standard size hand towel - Some hand towels come in 2 separate sizes...the larger size is the one I am talking about which seems to be the most common.

2 - bath towels

1 - roll of ribbon of your choice or - 17 inch cutting of ribbon if you prefer to buy ribbon sold by the yard

1 - spool of thread to coordinate with your ribbon choice

1 - spool of thread to coordinate with your towel color

1 - measuring tape

Scissors

Pencil

And any embellishments such as buttons, sequins, or patches if you choose to add those.

And your sewing machine.  Sadly...this is not a no sew project.

Step 1

Fold your hand towel in half and cut into 2 pieces.
100_6307















Step 2
Cut 3 inches off the CUT side of your hand towel.100_6308

Step 3
Cut a 17 inch piece of ribbon from your roll and lay across the un-cut end of your hand towel.  Leave a 1/2 - 1 inch edge extra on either end.100_6310

Step 4
Sew the ribbon onto your hand towel leaving about a 3 inch edge on the UN-cut side. Make sure to cover the decorative strip across the towel with your ribbon to hide it.

Use a straight stitch on your sewing machine and the thread that matches your ribbon to sew the ribbon on to the towel.
100_6311

Step 5
Fold your hand towel in half with the cut edge on one end and the un-cut edge on the other and the ribbon side on the inside of the fold.

Like this...but the opposite.
100_6317

Using the thread that matches your towel sew up the CUT edge of your hand towel with a zigzag stitch.  Shown here...100_6313

FYI...if you use a straight stitch on the terry fabric of the towel the towel could pull apart rather easily.  I've found that the zigzag stitch works the best on this fabric.

When you are finished it will look like this...
100_6312

Step 6
You are now ready to sew your hand towel...which is now a hood...onto your big towel. 

Fold your big towel in half and place a pencil mark at the halfway point.
100_6314

Match the middle seam at the back of your hood with your pencil mark and use straight pens to attach your hood.100_6315

Step 7
Using either a straight stitch or zigzag stitch sew the hood onto the towel.100_6316

And then...VOILA....you're done!100_6317

100_6318

My preference is to personalize the towel for the recipient and sometimes add a little cuteness to it.  I don't have my own embroidery machine...although I would like to...so I found a local woman that does it out of her home for $7 which I feel is totally worth having a personalized gift for someone.  I found the buttons at Wal-Mart and I have found that just the ribbon and 3-4 buttons is cute as well.  The possibilities are really endless.
100_6364

100_6367

I hope you enjoyed my very first ever crafting tutorial!  If you decide to make some hooded towels and have questions please feel free to email me at reddirtandcrazy@yahoo.com or send me a tweet.

I'm off to play my Hawaiian CD I bought in Hawaii and pretend its summer!

I love the ukulele,
Megan

2 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. And now I want one, which I'll wear while running around my neighborhood pretending to be a super hero. Naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would expect nothing less and I definitely want to see pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers