The Craziness That is Me...Megan

Frequently moving perfectionist often driven to Crazyville by moving, motherhood, and...myself. Lover of music, homemade things, and Oklahoma.

Monday, November 15, 2010

How It Came to Be...My Farmer Boy and Me - Part 5

Continued from here (part 1)...and here (part 2)...and here (part 3)...and here (part 4)...

We were hardly engaged a day when the little wheels in my mind were just about to spin off their hinges. 

Who, what, when, and where needed to be decided.  But first we had to get through the week. 

Farm Boy's brother was getting married the Friday after Thanksgiving and there was a lot to be done that week. 

We were all busy with planning and errand running, cooking and decorating.  It was a fun but tiring week.  It ended wonderfully...their wedding and reception went through without a single problem and everyone was happy.

After that was all said and done we started thinking about what we wanted to do. 

We picked a day...June 25...and decided that it would be at his church in his home town.  We had 7 months.

Before we knew it the weekend was over and he was heading back to Raleigh.  This goodbye was like none before.  We had a light at the end of the tunnel now and it made it so much easier.

I would be busy making wedding plans and he would be busy finding us a home in North Carolina for the next few months.

I was nervous about leaving everyone I had ever known but the good far outweighed the bad and I couldn't wait to be with him.

The months passed quickly and in May...one month before the wedding...without me having seen it in person...Farm Boy bought our first home.


We were both ecstatic!

He knew me, he knew what I liked, he took lots of pictures and I loved it!  It was a great house and it was perfect for us.

The next month flew by like a whirlwind and pretty soon our wedding week was upon us and Farm Boy was headed back to Oklahoma...this time driving so he could move me back with him.

We attempted to be as cost effective as possible and I think we did pretty good.  However...without the help of Farm Boy's miracle working sister I'm not sure what we would have done.

She made the cakes, the flowers,
did a lot of decorating, and helped to coordinate things here and there.  She is an asset now I tell you...an asset! 

Speaking of cakes...

This was it! 

I found a little wooden church at Hobby Lobby (my favorite craft store) and painted it to match my colors and it sat on the tallest cake.
  

I found a topper online like this one that someone had painted but they wanted a fortune for it.  So I searched and searched until I found (at Michael's) the figurine they used.  It was like $19.99 I think.  Anywho...my mom and I painted a work coat, John Deere t-shirt, and jeans over the tuxedo that the groom was wearing.  We also did a little dry brushing to make it look like the farmer is sitting in the dirt. And then I added some flowers onto the wedding dress to make it match mine.  It was perfect and it sat on the middle layer of cake.



For the bottom layer we used a John Deere tractor.  It looked like the bride was dragging the farmer out of the field and to the church.  We loved it.  I also loved my cake stands.  Farm Boy made them and painted them in the shop at the farm.  They worked perfectly...as you can see.

It looked great...if I do say so myself...and I do!

The wedding went beautifully and we were able to involve some of our family.

Farm Boy's uncle is a priest and he married us.  My brother read a verse as well as Farm Boy's sister.  Farm Boy's nephew was a server as well as his sister-in-law's son.  One of my bridesmaid's was one of my closest cousins and Farm Boy's brother was one of his groomsmen.  It was quite the family affair and we were glad. 

Everything went wonderfully.  The ceremony was great, the food at the reception was delicious, and everyone laughed at the slideshow we had made. 

It was a beautiful day! 

After the wedding Farm Boy and I went to our hotel in downtown Oklahoma City and rested for awhile.  And then we went to our other reception.  We decided that we wanted two...one at the church and one that was better suited to be a little rowdy. 

The first one was the official after wedding reception...dinner, cake, visiting.  The second was the official party wedding reception.  We stocked the VIP room at our favorite Oklahoma City bar...The Wormy Dog Saloon and had one heck of a party.  It was great! 

The one thing that Farm Boy and I loved the most about that reception was almost every single one of our friends at the time was there.  It is one of our most favorite memories.

At the end of that party though the goodbye's had to be said and they were tough.  Farm Boy had already had his going away party when he moved but I guess really our party wedding reception was mine.  Thankfully we all had a good time so I guess maybe that saved us from the ugly cry.  Oh we all cried when we said goodbye but we didn't ugly cry so I guess that is good.  The great thing about it though is that we said goodbye to seeing each other regularly but we didn't say goodbye forever.  I still have those wonderful friends and for that I am truly grateful.  If it hadn't been for them after Farm Boy left I'm not sure what I would have done. 

Farm Boy and I went back to our hotel that night and crashed.  It had been a wonderful day that we have never forgotten.

The next day we drove out to Farm Boy's sister's house to open our gifts.  It was a lot of fun opening them over brunch with his family.  After that we drove over to my parents house to pack my stuff.  It didn't take long.  We loaded it into the back of the trailer and stayed there for the night. 

And then the next day...our second day of marriage mind you...we drove back out to Farm Boy's family farm and loaded my Ford Escape into the back of the trailer.  My Escape with all of our presents in it.  Into the trailer that had all my stuff in it.  It was a more formal version of the Beverly Hillbillies I would say...considering it was all in an enclosed trailer.

After we loaded everything that needed to be loaded it was time to strike out on our honeymoon that wasn't...and oh how it wasn't...

To Be Continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers