The Craziness That is Me...Megan

Frequently moving perfectionist often driven to Crazyville by moving, motherhood, and...myself. Lover of music, homemade things, and Oklahoma.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Favorite Movie Ever...Ever, Ever, EVER

When someone asks you what your favorite movie or song is...can you just pick one? 

I don't think I could ever pick a favorite song because...as you know...my favorite song changes just about daily. 

Well...at least weekly.

However, I can say with absolute certainty what my favorite movie of all time is.  And it has been my favorite since I was 12.  So you know that I am certain when I say that I am certain.  Cause I am.  Certain.

The movie that has stolen my favorite spot for all eternity is none other than My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys. 
It was released in 1991 and stars Scott Glenn, Kate Capshaw, Ben Johnson, Tess Harper, Gary Busey, Balthazar Getty and Mickey Rooney...just to name a few.  It was filmed in Guthrie, Oklahoma and has some rodeo scenes that were filmed at the Lazy E Arena which I have been to many times. 

Sadly...you can't buy it on DVD.  I'm wishin, hopin, n' prayin that it will be put on DVD someday and then I will snatch it up, burn it onto our external hardrive and put the original in the fireproof safe.  For safe keeping.

I even have the movie poster for it and it proudly hung in my room until I got married.  And then it was hung over my sewing table.  And it is currently leaning up against a wall with all the other pictures that we are going to hang in our office.  Someday.

Wait a minute...

Sewing table?  Lordy help me I sound like a...seamstress.  Although seamstress sounds like I make clothes and there's not so much of that going on at my sewing table. 

Okay moving on...

There are many, many reasons why I love this movie.  It's partly because it's a love story.  And it was filmed in Oklahoma.  And because Ben Johnson is in it and he is the epitome of cowboy.  And because I love the story itself and the lines and the actors and the music and everything.  And it's partly because the first time I saw it...I was 12 and he was 16 when it was filmed...I fell totally in love with Balthazar Getty.  Like, totally.

You can breathe easy...I am no longer in love with him.

But I do love this movie and could watch it at least once a week.  I have the hardest time watching it without quoting the entire thing which can be irritating to others that are in the room.  I personally can not imagine why! 

"Jolie...Jolie is that you?"

"Hell-o H.D."

I. Love. It.

I love it so much that one of my children is named after the leading female character in the movie. 

Wait a minute...I only have one child.  I guess that would be her! 

So there you have it...my favorite movie ever.  With complete certainty.  My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys. 

And now I must go...I have a movie to watch.

No Longer in Love with Balthazar,
Megan

P.S. Balthazar...if your reading this...it's not that I don't love you at all.  It's just that I'm not in love with you anymore.  And it's not the little scar that is above your right eye either...it's me really...not you.  I'm in love with someone else.  I'm sure you will be happy with your wife and get over this in due time.  It heals all wounds you know...eventually.  If anyone can pick themselves up and carry on after this it is you.  You will be fine and I promise you will live to see another day!

UPDATE~It was pointed out to me that some may not know who Balthazar Getty is and who he was in the movie.  Here is a more current picture...


He has played in Natural Born Killers, Young Guns II, Ladder 49 as well as a few others.  In My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys he played the young son of Kate Capshaw.  Well...Balthazar...or Judd (his character name in the movie) as I like to call him...was a long haired, earring wearing punk until he discovered the cowboy within.  And then he became a short haired, cowboy hat wearing hottie as you can see from his picture in the movie poster.  He's the one on the far right.  See?  Told ya! 


Mama's Losin' It

10 comments:

  1. I'd have to say that I have two favorite movies - I can't pick just one. They are Grease and Forrest Gump. I know 'em and quote them often. Far too often if you ask my family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Mama Kats ...

    I'm sorry that I never even heard of this movie but your love just shines through. And I'm sure Mr. Getty will get over your lost love in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this movie either - but if I ever run across it in a video store, I'll definitely snatch it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen this movie and i can't believe you can't get it on DVD -- I thought you could get ANY movie on DVD now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this movie but after reading your post, I feel like I really need to. I have a love like yours for Dirty Dancing. I fell in love with Patrick Swayze when I was 12. :)

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam - Yes, yes I know about your love for Forrest. lol...

    Jenners, Ashley, Megan, & Jamie - I don't think it was really wildly popular but I love it and I'm sure you would too if you saw it. And I can't believe that you can't get it on DVD either but you can't. It sucks. They play it a lot on like Starz or Encore though so you might be able to catch it there sometime. If you like a good love story you will be glad you did! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I would like to add this movie to my Netflix queue but you said it isn't on DVD yet.

    I have to admit, I've never seen it, but am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is in one of my shows....Brothers and Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have it on VHS, can you you get it put on DVD? Or does that break the copyright law? Probably does. Nevermind. The pirates ruin EVERYthing...*sigh*
    Oh, btw, I was stopping in from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete

Followers