The Craziness That is Me...Megan

Frequently moving perfectionist often driven to Crazyville by moving, motherhood, and...myself. Lover of music, homemade things, and Oklahoma.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Sometimes...I Wish I Were Amish

Last night...as I was so happily typing away on my blog post for the day...we lost power.

It had started raining a tiny bit...and the wind blew a little...but there was absolutely NO reason we should have lost power.  At least in my opinion.

I used this little power outage to get some much needed reading done.  Which I am grateful for.  But during this loss of light...I started thinking.

Lord help us...I know.

I started thinking about the day that I drove my parents up to Lancaster, Pennsylvania to see Amish country.  I must admit...I am completely fascinated by the Amish and Mennonite people. 

I met an Amish woman about my age working in a store and she was kind enough to let me pick her brain a little. 

Now...it is important for me to say that I LOVE asking questions.  I really just LOVE talking to people but I REALLY love talking to people who live differently than I do.  Whether they are from another country...or just another way of life...I love hearing about it.

I went easy on the poor woman, I did.  I asked if I could ask her questions and she ever so politely said I could.  And I only asked about 3 or 4...well maybe about 10.  But that was it!  I swear.

Anyway...after talking with her I realized she was probably one of the most peaceful and humble souls I had ever met.  I could have stayed right there all day...and probably the next. 

But during the drive home I really got to thinking. 

Brace yourself....

Wouldn't it be awesome to be Amish? 

Now, now....I KNOW it would totally suck not having electricity.  And I know it would TOTALLY suck having to wear dresses all the time.  And I know that it would TOTALLY suck not to be able to say that it TOTALLY sucked. 

And yes, yes I know P.O. Priscilla would have us kicked out in NO time.   Although I have to wonder...would there be a P.O. Priscilla if I were Amish?

And would I miss those things if I had never had them to begin with?

I know you are thinking I have finally lost it and gone to Crazyville never to return.  Right?  You do...you can admit it...its okay.  I'm okay with it...seriously.

But really people...I can't help myself.  I can't help but think that life would be a lot less stressful being Amish.

Think about it for just a minute.

Oh come on...just for a minute...try to put the house payment, car payment, gas bill, grocery bill, and utility bill to the side for a sec. 

~~

~~

~~

So what do you think?

I'm not TOTALLY crazy for just thinking it...am I?

If so...don't worry...I'm not moving to Pennsylvania. 

Although I MAY have contemplated it for about a half a second when all the lights came on at 1:30 this morning. 

Because I had so stupidly forgotten to turn off all the switches before the power went out.  How silly of me?!

Yea...I was a little pissed off.  And it scared me just a tiny bit.  And P.O. Priscilla may have said a few choice words. 

Thanks heavens I'm not Amish!  I would have been in big trouble!

Now if you'll excuse me...I have some internet surfing to do on my high-speed internet connection, send a few tweets, and update my Facebook status.

Then I may watch Steel Magnolia's on the TV in my bedroom.  Cause Farm Boy isn't here to whine about it and make me watch The Replacements...for the one millionth time this year.

Ta Ta

P.S.  I'd rather him be here...even if I have to watch The Replacements AGAIN.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, think about how much you'd get done without t.v. Of course you would have to wash all your clothes by hand (w/lye) - so that would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea...I think so. I'm lovin my new frontloaders! lol...It's just a thought I like to entertain every now and again. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers